Posted by .

HODARS is in the process of establishing regular testing sessions certified through the ARRL VEC. We plan on offering regular sessions at least every other month. If you need testing now, a test session can be arranged within a couple of days. Testing can be provided for all three license classes and the VE team is very dedicated and professional. Please feel free to contact our VE team to help set up a session for you or if you have any questions.

Please read the following information. It provides what is expected of all applicants and what you need to bring to the test sessions.

Registration:  Prior registration is strongly recommended. Registration insures enough VEs are available for the testing session and that we have necessary supplies on hand. Notification must be received at least one day prior to the test session. You may contact our VE team for registration.

Walk-ins will be accepted for Technician class. If we have adequate VEs available, other license classes will be accepted as walk-ins

Test Fee: The ARRL VEC has set the test fee at $15.00 Test Fee for 2016. Retests of an element failed at the same test session will require payment of an additional test fee. You may pay with cash or check. (check is preferred)

What to bring with you:

  • A government issued photo ID. If no government photo ID is available, two forms of ID are required.
  • The original and a copy of your amateur license and/or CSCEs for which you wish to receive credit.
  • We do not have access to a copier, so you must provide the copies yourself.
  • Test fee of $15 cash or check
  • Optional – Calculator (non-programmable)
  • W4HOD supplies plenty of sharp pencils, pens and scratch paper.
  • Completed NCVEC Form 605. (There will be blank forms at the session)


  • You can now fill out Section 1 of the NCVEC Quick Form 605 on your computer, print it out and bring it with you to the testing session. You will need Adobe Acrobat for this on your computer. W4HOD will have blank NCVEC 605 forms at the testing session.
  • If you ALREADY have a radio license, you must use your FRN number on the NCVEC 605 instead of your social security number.
  • Prior arrangements must be made in advance if special needs are to be accommodated. Please email the VE team.
  • The VE team reserves the right to refuse testing for anyone who cannot provide the necessary documentation and/or verifiable identification posted above.

Valid IDs For Kids “When no photo ID is available, the candidate must present any two of the following items:


  • Non-photo ID/driver’s license (some states still have them);
  • Social Security Card (as FCC now requires each applicant to supply a taxpayer ID number)
  • Birth certificate (must have the appropriate seal);
  • Minor’s work permit or school report card;
  • Utility bill, bank statement or other business correspondence that specifically names the person; or Postmarked envelope addressed to the person at his or her current mailing address as it appears on the Form 605.”
  • A video game magazine or Boy Scout Boy’s Life magazine addressed the the child will serve as one of the two required IDs.
  • A school year book can provide photo proof of the child being tested.
  • A school report card can be used.
  • Anything else of a similar nature that demonstrates child’s identity and residence.
  • Being accompanied by his or her parent does not satisfy the rule.